Thursday, March 24, 2005

And then there was Kyrgyzstan...

Kyrgyzstan names new leadership

Kyrgyzstan's parliament appoints interim leaders after protests topple President Askar Akayev.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/2/hi/asia-pacific/4380899.stm
I still cannot assimilate the speed at which these events have occured, and the relative indifference of the media until the last two days - especially here in the US. It is simply incredible how much of a vacuum we live in some times. In any case, yet another "Revolution" (of the tulips this time), where "people power" topples a government. Well, hopefully the outcome is as happy as it was in Ukraine... because otherwise it's a catastrophe in the making. But the Kyrgyz are sovereign over their country. As I often say, let's wait and see...

3 comments:

Brian said...

I stopped watching American television news and I barely listen to NPR anymore either.

Thank god for the BBC. In most cases, they do a better job of covering American DOMESTIC stories than the American broadcast media does. Maybe because they cover mostly real stories rather than celebrity trials and garbage like that.

Niobium said...

I agree with you Brian on the American Media, although I do still listen to a couple programs on NPR.

If only we could walk into the White House and say "G3orge you suck as a president and the world over hates you, leave now."

If only...

Nio

TheMalau said...

My policy is diversification (when one can afford it of course). I get my TV/Radio news from NPR, BBC, Radio France International, Deutsche Welle, CBC-Radio Canada, NewsWorld International and CNN International. And I only pay 10 $ extra from basic cable to get the extra TV channels, and I get some of the radio online. One has to want accurate news - and one ought to - and look for it to get it. Unfortunately there are a lot of slackers...

I believe Rousseau said that in a great democracy, when the attitude of the people towards politics and govrnment of the city reaches the level where they say "what does this matter to me?", then that democracy is doomed... Watch out America.

Donate to The Salon

Help us continue to do this important work of promoting freedom of expression about the Congo.

https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/scr/pixel.gif

Explore The Salon